What Can You Do with an IPE Major?
The short answer is that you can do anything that you want to do – the IPE major is a liberal arts degree that equips you for a life of writing, speaking, critical thinking and learning, learning, learning. Our alumni report a wide range of careers and experiences:
- They work in business, government and for non-governmental organizations.
- A great many of our alumni attend graduate school pursuing degrees at the masters and doctoral level in a wide variety of disciplines: law, business, international development, economics, nursing and nutrition, theology, education, public policy and more.
- “International” is a strong element of their career paths, with frequent reports of foreign work, study, volunteer, and service experiences.
- Alumni report that their IPE education has been a distinct advantage in meeting post-graduation challenges. Alumni who have attended graduate school say that they were very well prepared to compete at this academic level. Alumni working in business, government and the NGO-sector report that the critical thinking and strong research and writing skills they honed at Puget Sound have given them an advantage. Several alumni comment that they feel especially well prepared to deal with complex problems, to approach issues from different perspectives, and to live in a multicultural environment.
- Many alumni comment on how important the senior thesis experience has been to them as preparation for the real world. It is perhaps worth noting in this context that the IPE faculty have observed a strong link between senior thesis research and post-graduate career. It is not uncommon to find alumni who are working today on aspects of the problem at the center of their senior thesis!
Periodically, we contact IPE alumni to find out where they are, what they have been doing, and how well their IPE studies have served the test of time. Below are links with information from our most recent survey.