PBS Newshour Asian Crisis Chronology
The links below lead to stories on the PBS Newshour web site. Use them to reconstruct key events in the development of the Asian Crisis. Newshour archives are Copyright © 1998 MacNeil-Lehrer Productions. All Rights Reserved.
- October 20, 1997 -- Southeast Asian Economies
Phil Ponce talks with Michael Zielenziger of the San Jose Mercury News about the dynamics of Southeast Asian economies.
- October 28, 1997 -- A Global Economy
Exploring the causes and effects of Asia's fluctuating markets.
- November 21, 1997 -- Asian Forecast
Can Asia solve its economic problems on its own?
- November 24, 1997 -- Asian Contagion
Asia's leaders face the tough realities of their economic crisis.
- November 25, 1997 -- Asian Economic Woes
Asia's leaders search for answers at the APEC meeting in Vancouver.
- November 26, 1997 -- "Protecting the System"
What was achieved at this week's APEC meeting in Vancouver?
- December 4, 1997 -- A Wounded Asian Tiger
The once unstoppable South Korean economy gets an international bail-out.
- December 12, 1997 -- Some Strings Attached?
Will the IMF bailout help or further cripple South Korea's economy?
- December 19, 1997 -- A Change of Power
The opposition party wins its first presidential election in South Korea.
- December 26, 1997 -- South Korean Roller Coaster
Has South Korea turned the corner toward economic recovery?
- December 29, 1997 -- Asia Report
The Boston Globe's Asian bureau chief discusses the region's economic crises.
- December 30, 1997 -- Grace Period
Bankers world-wide announce support for South Korea's ailing economy.
- January 9, 1998 -- Asia's Economic Flu
Indonesia's reluctance to follow the IMF plan sends markets tumbling.
- January 9, 1998 -- Hard Times
Two Independent Television News reports, one on South Korea and one on Hong Kong, explore the impact of the Asian economic crisis.
- January 12, 1998 -- Correcting the Crisis
Can Asia fix its own economy and return to stability?
- January 16, 1998 -- Newsmaker: Sec. Rubin
The Treasury Secretary discusses plans to help the Asian economy.
- January 19, 1998 -- Cure or Curse?
Asia's economic crisis brings into question IMF policies.
- February 3, 1998 -- The Ripple Effect
Exploring the impact of Asia's economic crisis on the U.S.
- February 27, 1998 -- Asia's Fallen Star
Can Indonesia restore confidence in its falling currency?
- March 10, 1998 -- Secretary Robert Rubin
Does Indonesia need revolution or reform?
- May 4, 1998 -- Bailout
Today the International Monetary Fund voted to give Indonesia another billion dollars in emergency aid.
- May 14, 1998 -- Indonesia's Riots
Violence escalates in Jakarta as students protest against Suharto.
- May 15, 1998 -- Days of Rage
A report and discussion on the aftermath of the riots in Jakarta.
- May 19, 1998 -- Giving Ground
President Suharto of Indonesia announced plans to step down today.
- May 20, 1998 -- The Crisis Continues
Assistant Secretary of State Roth discusses the Indonesian crisis.
- May 22, 1998 -- End of an Era
Before filing a background report on the changes in Indonesia, Independent Television News reporter Ian Williams talked from Jakarta with Charles Krause in Washington.
- June 2, 1998 -- Reform Struggle
An update on Indonesia.
- July 1, 1998 -- Fighting The Asian Flu
A discussion on China's changing role in the Asian market system as the President's trip to China continues.
- September 7, 1998 --The Littlest Victims
South Korea's self-imposed economic austerity measures have had some unexpected and unfortunate results.
- September 8, 1998 -- South Korea Update
Mary Jordan, Northeast Asia co-bureau chief for the Washington Post, discusses the economic crisis in South Korea.
- October 20, 1998 -- Trade Shortage
Tom Bearden reports on why some American companies are finding it increasingly difficult to sell their products overseas.
- November 16, 1998 -- Hot Money
Asian economic leaders discuss the flow of capital at the APEC meeting in Malaysia.
- November 23, 1998 -- Fighting The Asian Flu
What is being done to solve Asia's economic troubles?
- December 24, 1998 -- Feeling The Effects
A report on how one community is feeling the impact of Asia's continued economic problems.