General Requirements for the Major
General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) at least four units of the major be taken in residence at Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the major; and 3) all courses taken for a major must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the major degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Major
- IPE 201, PG 102, ECON 170, and SOAN 101 or 102
- IPE 300 or ECON 271III. IPE 301
- MATH 160 or 260 or equivalent
- Elective courses: Three courses (usually upper-division courses) in IPE or related disciplines. Elective courses must be pre-approved by the student's IPE advisor in consultation with the student. A course used to satisfy this requirement may not also be used to satisfy a university core requirement. At least one of the three IPE Major Electives must be an upper-division IPE course taken on the Puget Sound campus. Elective classes should be chosen to:
- Broaden or deepen the student's understanding of IPE theory;
- Provide economic, political, social or historical context for analysis of important IPE issues;
- Provide specific expertise necessary for a student's senior thesis research;
- Develop analytical tools useful in IPE research;
- Deepen knowledge of a particular country or region.
- Senior Thesis: IPE 401
- To count towards the major a course grade must be C- or above.
- Every student must coordinate his or her program with an IPE advisor.
- Where a course both supports a major in IPE and fulfills a major or minor requirement in another field, a student may count no more than two 200- or higher-level departmental units from that major or minor towards the IPE major.