General Requirements for the Major or Minor
General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) at least four units of the major or three units of the minor be taken in residence at Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the major or the minor; and 3) all courses taken for a major or minor must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the major and minor degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree
Completion of the following 5 areas:
- EXSC 200 Introductory Research Methods; EXSC 221 Human Physiology; and EXSC 222 Human Anatomy.
- BIOL 111; CHEM 110/120 or 115/230; MATH 160; and PHYS 111. Note: Most Physical Therapy programs require a second semester of physics (PHYS 112).
- Three units from EXSC 301 Nutrition and Energy Balance; EXSC 328 Neuromuscular Adaptation; EXSC 329 Exercise Physiology; and EXSC 336 Biomechanics.
- Two units from EXSC 401 Advanced Nutrition and Energy Balance; EXSC 428 Advanced Neuromuscular Adaptation; EXSC 429 Advanced Exercise Physiology; and EXSC 436 Advanced Biomechanics
- Two units at the 300 level or higher in Exercise Science that are not counted toward the major in another capacity.
Requirements for the Minor
A Minor in Exercise Science requires completion of six courses to include EXSC 200, 221 and 222; two of the following 300 level courses: EXSC 301, 328, 329, or 336; and one of the following 400 level courses: EXSC 401, 428, 429, or 436.
- A grade of C or higher must be earned in each course for the major or minor.
- The Exercise Science Department reserves the option of either excluding courses more than 10 years old from applying to a major or minor or requiring such courses to be repeated.