General Requirements for the Major or Minor
General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) at least four units of the major or three units of the minor be taken in residence at Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the major or the minor; and 3) all courses taken for a major or minor must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the major and minor degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Major
- Introduction to English Studies: ENGL 210
- Breadth requirement: 3 courses from ENGL 221-226, 340-349
- Literatures, Cultures, Identities : 1 course from ENGL 380, 391, 474, 475, 478, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486; ENGL 360, 470, or 471 when the majority of the course content is approved by the department for this category
- Elective: 1 course in English at the 300-level or above (excluding 301 and courses that count for the university core)
- Four additional units in one of three emphases:|
- Introductory Creative Writing: 2 units from ENGL 202, 203, 306
- Advanced Seminars in Creative Writing: 2 units from ENGL 402, 403, 472
- Author, genre, or history of criticism: 1 unit from ENGL 340-360
- Literature seminars: 3 units from ENGL 440-486, 493
Writing, Rhetoric, and Culture Emphasis
- Genre, language, critical or rhetorical theory: 1 unit from ENGL 307, 344, 345, 346, 492
- Non-expository writing: 1 unit from ENGL 202, 203, 205, 300, 306
- Writing, Rhetoric, and Culture seminars: 2 units from ENGL 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 471, 493, 495, 496, 497. Students may use only one course involving a self-designed project (493, 495, and 496) to satisfy this requirement, and it must be focused on issues related to writing, rhetoric, and culture.
- Literature Before 1800: One of the 10 units taken for the English major must be a course in literature before 1800 (includes ENGL 221, 222, 224, 350, 351, 440, 441, 443, 446, 473, 476, 483; ENGL 360, 470, or 471 when the majority of the course content is pre-1800; please check the department website to see which courses in a given semester fulfill this requirement)
Requirements for the Minor
- Literature Surveys: 2 units from ENGL 221-226.
- Three additional units in English at the 200-level or above, one of which must be a writing course.
- The student must have a grade of C- or above in each course applied to a major or minor.
- There is no time limit on courses applicable to an English major or minor.
- All 400-level literature courses (ENGL 440-489) demand reasonable preparation for satisfactory performance. The minimum prerequisite is either completion of the relevant survey (ENGL 221-226) or permission of the instructor.