Omicron Delta Epsilon
What is ODE?
Omicron Delta Epsilon (ODE) is the international honor society in economics. Members of each ODE chapter are selected by the economics faculty as the best students in the economics program. All members of the Theta chapter at the University ofPuget Sound have committed themselves to economics by excelling in one of the intermediate theory courses and maintaining.at least a 3.0 grade point average in economics over their university career. While ODE is primarily an honor society recognizing the excellence in economics, it provides a forum for economics majors and minors to discuss the economic issues which affect everyone. Each year our chapter has sponsored events to increase the general economic literacy on our Campus. We have sponsored public lectures by state officials and returning graduates. ODE members have acted as tutors and mentors for future economics majors. Mostly, we have a great time getting together.
- The recognition of scholastic attainment and the honoring of outstanding achievements in economics
- The establishment of closer ties between students and faculty in economics within colleges and universities, and among colleges and universities
- The publication of its official journal, The American Economist
- The sponsoring of panels at professional meetings as well as the Irving Fisher and Frank W. Taussig competitions.
- Omicron Delta Epsilon, one of the world's largest academic honor societies, was created through the merger of two honor societies, Omicron Delta Gamma and Omicron Chi Epsilon.
- Omicron Delta Gamma (The Order of Artus) was founded in 1915 by John R. Commons, University of Wisconsin and Frank Taussig, Harvard University.
- Omicron Chi Epsilon was founded in 1955 by Alan A. Brown while he was a student at the City College of New York.
- Omicron Delta Epsilon has over 560 chapters located in the United States, Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom, Mexico, Puerto Rico, South Africa, Egypt, and France.