General Requirements for the Major or Minor
General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) at least four units of the major or three units of the minor be taken in residence at Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the major or the minor; and 3) all courses taken for a major or minor must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the major and minor degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies
- One unit selected from COMM class numbered 150-199; 230 and 240;
- One unit selected from COMM 343, 344, or 373
- One unit selected from COMM 330 or 331;
- Five elective units selected and approved through advising from COMM 252, 291, 299, 308, 321, 322, 343, 344, 346, 347A, 347B, 348, 350, 354, 360, 368, 370, 373, 384, 399, 422, 442, 444, 450, 460, 461, 498; once requirements for #2 and #3 above have been met, additional courses from 330,331, 343, 344, or 373 may be counted as an elective;
- At least one of the five elective units must be a senior capstone seminar selected from COMM 422, 442, 444, 450, 460, and 461;
- Only one 200 level elective and one unit from COMM 498 may be counted toward the major. In certain instances, one unit of INTN 497 may be counted toward the major with the approval of the department chair;
- Students may apply up to two approved courses of study abroad credit toward their Communication Studies major.
- Majors and minors may satisfy no more than one university core requirement from Communication Studies offerings.
Requirements for the Minor in Communication Studies
Completion of 5 units, to include: one unit selected from COMM class numbered 150-199; , COMM 230, and 240; one unit selected from COMM 343, 344 or 373; one of the remaining two units must be at the 300 or 400 level. A 100 level class may count for the Minor elective but must be taken during the first or sophomore year.
- Students majoring or minoring in Communication Studies must earn a grade of C- or higher in all courses which are taken in fulfillment of a major or minor requirement.
- The Communication Studies Department reserves the option of determining, on an individual basis, a time limit on the applicability of courses to a major or minor.