Hazardous Spill Procedures
Following are procedures for minor and major spills or leaks:
I. Minor Spills or Leaks: A minor spill or leak is defined as an occurrence which does not present a significant risk to persons and which can be addressed by properly knowledgeable faculty or staff, and for which appropriate clean-up supplies are readily available.
When a minor spill occurs:
- Isolate the spill area and stand by until an appropriately knowledgeable person can clean up the spill. Use appropriate materials to contain the spill in the smallest area possible.
- Report the spill to an appropriately knowledgeable storeroom staff member, Teaching Assistant, or faculty member.
- Contact Security Services if there are any injuries (e.g. cuts from broken glass) or property damage associated with the spill.
- Properly dispose of spill residue.
II. Major Spills or Leaks: A major spill or leak is defined as an occurrence which should be addressed with the assistance of Tacoma Fire Department Hazardous Materials Response personnel. It involves spills which present a significant risk to persons and/ or cannot be reasonably addressed by readily available, properly knowledgeable persons.
When a major spill occurs:
- Call Security Services (extension 3311) to report the precise nature and location of the spill.
- Evacuate the area affected by the spill. Activate the fire alarm to evacuate the entire building if warranted.
- Meet Security Services, Facilities Services, and Tacoma Fire Department representatives. Provide them with information regarding the spill, including the exact materials involved.
- Assist in contacting appropriately knowledgeable Science Storeroom staff or faculty who can assist Fire Department staff in identifying the materials involved and in determining clean-up options.
- The appropriately knowledgeable staff or faculty member who responds to the scene will assist in determining if a spill clean-up contractor should be called to assist. Facilities Services maintains the name and phone number for one or more 24-hour service contractors.
Note: There are separate procedures for radiation spills posted in areas where radioactive materials are used.