Campus Safety Information & Procedures
- Familiarize yourself with building exits, hallways, and stairways so you will know how to exit safely in event of fire.
- If you become aware of fire, pull the fire alarm and verbally alert others in the building.
- Leave the building via the most remote exit from the fire. Close your office door when you exit your office. Move at least 50 feet from the building. Do not use elevators.
- If you are the first to observe a fire, dial 911 and request Tacoma Fire Department response. Give your name and complete information regarding the fire. If you have time to safely contact Security Services after notifying the Fire Department, call 3311.
- When a fire alarm sounds, always exit the building even if you think it may be false. Do not re-enter the building until safety clearance is provided by Tacoma Firefighters or University Security staff.
- Seek refuge under a desk or table, or other substantial furniture or fixtures. Stay away from windows, shelves, and heavy equipment.
- Do not exit buildings until the initial quake has subsided. If the fire alarm is sounded or if you are directed to leave the building by staff after the quake, walk quickly to the nearest safe exit.
- Once outside, move to an open area as far as you can from buildings. Be prepared for aftershocks.
- After you gather outdoors, proceed to the Fieldhouse. The Fieldhouse and Tennis Annex will provide temporary shelter, if necessary, after an earthquake.
- Follow instructions by Security or other emergency response staff. Do not re-enter buildings until authorized to do so.
- Move quickly away from buildings, utility poles, and other structures. Always avoid downed power lines as they may be energized.
- If in an automobile, stop at the nearest safe location, preferably away from power lines. Stay in the vehicle for the safety it offers.
You need to exercise reasonable precautions to protect yourself and your property. Contact Security Services for detailed Crime Prevention and Personal Safety Information. Among the most important things you can do:
- Walk and park your vehicle in lighted areas at night or in the early morning.
- Do not walk alone, especially at night. Use Security escort service (call 3311).
- Always lock vehicle doors even when you are in your vehicle.
- Do not leave valuables unattended in unlocked areas. Lock your office when it will be unoccupied.
- Call Security Services immediately to report incidents or suspicious persons or circumstances.