For Current Students
Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society (SAACS) - The UPS Chemistry Club
All students are welcome to participate in the UPS chapter of SAACS (Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society). SAACS hosts a variety of activities each year including:
- Tutoring students in 1st and 2nd year chemistry courses
- Selling laboratory notebooks
Check the Chemistry Storeroom to find this important information for the Puget Sound Chemistry community:
- Teaching laboratory information
- Chemical safety
- Chemical waste disposal
- Research laboratory information
- Purchase order requests
ChemDraw available for Students!
- ChemDraw is the premier chemical structure drawing program. We have purchased a site license for the standard edition of the program so you may download and use it on your own computer. (You need to have a UPS email account in order to activate the program.) The program will also be available on lab computers in the chemistry department. Highly recommended for students in Organic Chemistry.
SciFinder Scholar for Searching the Chemical Literature
- SciFinder Scholar, one of the most powerful and comprehensive tools for searching the chemical literature, is now available in a web version that can be accessed using a web browser. In order to use this tool, you must first go to the SciFinder registration site and register using your UPS email address. You will then be sent an email that you will need to use to activate your account. After that you can use SciFinder by going to scifinder.cas.org.
Delta Software for Processing NMR Spectra
- After acquiring data on our new 400 MHz JEOL spectrometer, you can then send yourself the NMR data via e-mail and process it on your own computer! Send an email to John Hanson, and he will send you instructions for installing the software.
Thompson Hall Science & Mathematics Seminars
The science division sponsors the Thompson Hall Science and Mathematics Seminars every Thursday afternoon that students are encouraged to attend. Distinguished faculty and visiting scientists present talks on their research, and science students who conducted research during the summer on a Murdock Summer Research Grant present their findings in a poster session early in fall semester.
Student Science Magazine
Elements Science Magazine is a student - run publication for general audiences featuring articles on student research and interesting scientific topics, including science satire. Students can get involved as writers, editors, photographers, and illustrators. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.