Requirements for the Interdisciplinary Emphasis in Bioethics
Completion of six units to include:
- BIOL 101 or 111. These courses can satisfy the Natural Scientific Core requirement.
- REL/BIOE 292.
- Three elective units at the 200-level or above drawn from at least two of the three elective categories: Scientific, Ethical, and Humanities & Social Sciences. Elective options are listed below.
- BIOE 400 Bioethics Integration Seminar
- BIOL 212 Cell Biology
- BIOL 311 Genetics
- BIOL 362 Nanobiology
- BIOL 370 Conservation Biology
- BIOL 375 Developmental Biology
- BIOL 404 Molecular Biology
- BIOL 441 Cancer Biology
- EXSC 331 Scientific Writing in Exercise Science
- NRSC 201 Foundations of Neuroscience
- NRSC 350 Methods in Neuroscience
- NRSC 450 Seminar in Neuroscience
- PSYC 312 Applied Psychological Measurement
- PSYC 320 Psychological Disorders
- PSYC 371 Cognition and Aging
- CONN 393 The Cognitive Foundations of Morality and Religion*
- PHIL 228 Philosophy of Mind
- PHIL 280 Social & Political Philosophy
- PHIL 281 Moral Philosophy
- PHIL 285 Environmental Ethics
- PHIL 378: Philosophy of Law
- REL 265 Thinking Ethically
- STS 333 Evolution and Ethics*
Humanities & Social Sciences
- BUS 478 Environmental Law
- COMM 252 Health Communication Campaigns
- CONN 303 Art-Science: Inquiry into the Intersection of Art, Science, and Technology*
- CONN 320 Health and Medicine*
- CONN 357 Animal Minds*
- CONN 387 Never-Never Land*
- CONN 478 Animals, Law, and Society*
- ECON 325 Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
- ENGL 348 Illness and Narrative: Discourses of Disease
- IPE 331 The International Political Economy of Food and Hunger
- IPE 389 Global Struggles Over Intellectual Property*
- SOAN 225 Asian Medical Systems
- SOAN 360 Sociology of Health and Medicine
- SOAN 370 Disability, Identity, and Power
- STS 301 Technology and Culture
- STS 318 Science and Gender*
- STS 366 History of Medicine
* Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.
For complete descriptions of the elective courses, please consult the relevant departments in which these courses appear.
- BIOE/REL 292 is a prerequisite for BIOE 400.
- For students with a major in science (any major in Biology, Chemistry, Exercise Science, Geology, Physics, and Psychology departments, including the Natural Science majors), only one scientific elective may count unless special exception is granted from the Advisory Committee.
- Students who study abroad may apply one approved course toward the elective requirement unless an exception is granted by the Program Director.