Japanese Major/Minor Requirements
Requirements for the Major in Japanese (BA)
I. Concentration in language and culture
- Six (6) units in Japanese language, of which at least one must be at the 300 level and taken on the Tacoma campus.
- Four (4) units of Japanese culture, of which at least two must be at the 300 level taken on the Tacoma campus. Of the four, at least three must be chosen from: ART 368, HIST 247, 248, ALC 310, 320, 330, REL 233, 328. An additional unit may be chosen from: ALC 205, ART 278, 370, 371, ASIA 341, HIST 349, HUM 330, 335, REL 332.
II. Concentration in language and literature
- Seven (7) units in Japanese language, of which at least two must be at the 300 level, and one must be either JPN 360 or 380.
- One (1) unit of the following: ALC 205, ENGL 210.
- Two (2) units of literature from the following: ALC 310, 320, 330.
Requirements for the Minor in Japanese
- Completion of a minimum of five units of language.
- East Asian Languages majors may not minor in either language but are encouraged to pursue the Interdisciplinary Emphasis in Asian Studies and Robert Trimble Distinguished Asia Scholar designation.
Interdisciplinary Emphasis in Asian Studies
All students majoring in the Asian languages are strongly encouraged to augment these majors with the Interdisciplinary Emphasis in Asian Studies (IEAS) offered by the Asian Studies program, thereby enhancing their major with a deeper and broader comprehension of Asian cultures and societies. Other than the two language units and international experience requirements for IEAS, courses taken for the major may not be applied to the IEAS designation.