Supplemental Application Essay
We do not read the OTCAS personal statement. The only essay we do read is the required supplemental essay outlined below.
All applicants must compose an essay that addresses in an integrative way the topics listed below. The essay should have its own organization and not simply consist of answering the requested elements in the order listed. The purpose of this essay is for you to share with the faculty, in a reflective way, why you feel you would be a good occupational therapist and why you feel you are a good “fit” for our program. The essay must be electronically submitted to the University of Puget Sound Office of Admission to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org You must embed your name in the file name for association with your application file. The essay must be typed, double-spaced, using 12-point font, and no more than 1800 words. The applicant’s name must appear on the cover page of the document along with a precise essay word count. Title this document: “Reasons for Pursuing Occupational Therapy Study at Puget Sound.”
- In your own words, tell us what occupational therapy is. Be specific. Demonstrate depth and breadth of your understanding of the field.
- Tell us how your education, work, or volunteer experiences, and other personal experiences and goals led you to apply for graduate education in the field of occupational therapy. Discuss how your personal qualifications fit the demands of the profession.
- Describe an observation you made of a specific, challenging work situation encountered by an occupational therapist and the steps taken by the occupational therapist to resolve the situation. Describe how this experience helped you understand more about occupational therapy.
- Describe in detail how you approached an especially challenging situation in your personal life, work, or school. Use a specific example to illustrate your critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Reflect on what you learned about your personal characteristics from that situation and describe it.
- Describe how your personal characteristics and your educational, and/or professional experiences will bring diversity to the School of Occupational Therapy at the University of Puget Sound and to the discipline of occupational therapy in general. How will those traits and experiences inform your work as a student and future practitioner?
- Relate why you are interested in attending the School of Occupational Therapy at the University of Puget Sound.
Send your essay to: