Supplemental Application Essay
All applicants must compose an essay that addresses in an integrative way the topics listed below. The essay should have its own organization and not simply consist of answering the requested elements in the order listed. The purpose of this essay is for you to share with the faculty, in a reflective way, why you feel you would be a good occupational therapist and why you feel you are a good “fit” for our program. The essay must be electronically submitted to the University of Puget Sound Office of Admission to the following address: email@example.com You must embed your name in the file name for association with your application file. The essay must be typed, double-spaced, using 12-point font, and no more than 1800 words. The applicant’s name must appear on the cover page of the document along with a precise essay word count. Title this document: “Reasons for Pursuing Occupational Therapy Study at Puget Sound.”
- In your own words, tell us what occupational therapy is. Be specific. Refer to settings or situations you have recently observed. Demonstrate depth, breadth, and currency of your understanding of the field.
- Tell us how your education, work, or volunteer experiences, and other personal experiences and goals have brought you to apply to graduate education in the field of occupational therapy. Refer to the fit between the demands of the profession and your personal qualifications.
- Describe a challenging work situation encountered by an occupational therapist that you observed and how this was managed. Reflect on how this experience helped you understand more about occupational therapy.
- Reflect on how you approach challenging situations at work or school. Use an example to illustrate your critical thinking and problem-solving.
- Relate why you are interested in attending the Occupational Therapy Program at the University of Puget Sound.
Send your essay to: