Thinking about teaching Social Studies?
One part of preparing to teach Social Studies is a strong preparation in the subject. You must demonstrate your subject-matter knowledge in two ways prior to your admission to the M.A.T. program.
- You must pass the Washington Educator Skills Test—Endorsements (WEST-E) in Social Studies.
- You must also have taken coursework that prepares you for teaching secondary Social Studies. In Washington State, Social Studies includes history, civics, economics, and geography. You should have at least 5 Puget Sound units in these subject areas. These units should include:
- Coursework in U.S. History. At Puget Sound take: History 152 and 153: The American Experience
- Coursework in Politics and Government. At Puget Sound take: P & G 101: Introduction to U.S. Politics
- Coursework in Economics. At Puget Sound take: Economics 170: Contemporary Economics
- Coursework in Geography.
For additional information, contact the School of Education.