Thinking about teaching biology?
One part of preparing to teach biology is a strong preparation in the subject. The best content preparation is a major in biology. If you are unable to major or minor in biology, you can still teach biology if you prepare carefully.
To gain a biology endorsement you must demonstrate your subject –matter knowledge in two ways prior to your admission to the M.A.T. program
- You must pass the Washington Educator Skills Test—Endorsements (WEST-E) in biology.
- You must also have taken coursework that prepares you for teaching secondary biology. This generally means at least 5 Puget Sound units in biology. These units should be selected from:
- Ecology. At Puget Sound take: BIO 211: General Ecology, BIO 370: Conservation Biology
- Evolution. At Puget Sound take: BIO 112: Evolution and Diversity of Life, BIO 360 Evolution
- Cells and Genetics. At Puget Sound take: BIO 111: Unity of Life: Cells, Molecules, and Systems and BIO 212: Cell Biology, BIO 311: Genetics
- Science, Technology and Society. At Puget Sound take: STS 330: Idea of Evolution