An Advisor's Role
An advisor's role is to:
- Get to know the student and to stay current with the student's academic progress while at Puget Sound.
- Help the student to understand the purposes of a liberal arts education and to find accurate, up-to-date information about the university's academic offerings and requirements.
- Assist the student in developing a course of study, including core and major requirements as well as electives, which fits the student's academic background and educational and career goals.
- Provide the student with information on campus support agencies and offer appropriate referrals to them.
- Offer the student advising assistance should academic difficulties arise.
- Make time available during office hours or by appointment to meet with advisees.
The university’s fundamental philosophy holds that advisors offer counsel, not consent, in helping students formulate their academic programs. Students are ultimately responsible for their own academic decisions, though these decisions will be better informed when developed with the insight of advisors.