Common or Virginiana Opossum
- about 2 1/2-3 1/2 lbs or house cat size
- omnivore, dental formula 5-1-3-4/4-1-3-4
- Opossums were introduced from the eastern US initially in California, then through range expansion or additional introductions are now common in Washington west of Cascade Mountains in cities and country.
- Usually nocturnal and solitary, during the day, opossums hide often in attics and under porches so you might see one around your house.
- Climbs easily and uses its naked tail like an extra hand, especially in trees.
- The young spend 3 month in a pouch like a kangaroo (marsupial).
- “Playing possum” is a phrase that refers their habit of acting dead when threatened.