Staff Profile: Jane Carlin
Jane Carlin joined Puget Sound in 2008 coming from University of Cincinnati, where she served as senior librarian for the College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning Library. There she successfully served in a number of roles, bringing to each a strong commitment to faculty-staff partnership in library instruction; to collection development that supports teaching and research; and to new services and programs that embrace innovation and new technologies. Prior to her work at University of Cincinnati, in roles of increasing leadership and responsibility, Carlin served at Oxford Brooks University in England, University of Texas at Arlington, and Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis.
- Bachelor of Arts degree (anthropology), University of Delaware
- Master of Library Science, Indiana University-Bloomington
- Master of Librarianship, University of Wales at Aberystwyth.
Awards & Honors:
- University of Cincinnati Libraries Leadership Award, 2005
- University of Cincinnati Honors Excellence in Teaching Award, 2008
- University of Puget Sound’s Excellence in Action, January 2010
- The art of the book
- Fine presses and printing
- Management and change
- Information Literacy
- Digital image development
- Arts & Crafts period and the Art of William Morris
Current Professional Activities:
- Board of Directors, Orbis Cascade Alliance
- Information Literacy Immersion Committee, Association of College and Research Libraries (American Libraries Association)
- Board of Directors, Puget Sound Book Artists
- William Morris and His World
- Music, Art and Thought in Medici Florence
- The Printed Page: From Victorian to Virtual
- Study Abroad in Italy
- Media Research Methods
Recent Selected Publications & Presentations:
- Contributor, KIKI Magazine (www.kikimag.com)
- Carlin, Jane A., and Cindy B. Damschroder. "Beautiful and useful: The book as a learning object: Using an honors seminar as a forum to explore information literacy and critical thinking." College & Research Libraries News 70.3 (2009): 168-183.
- Bauer, Charly, and Jane A. Carlin. "The Case for Collaboration: The OhioLINK Digital Media Center."Journal of Library Administration 39.2/3 (2003): 69-86.
- Panelist: “Convergence and Managing Progressive Change.” Art Libraries Society of North American Annual Conference, Indianapolis, 2009.
- “Diversity & Pedagogy: Why is it so hard to talk about race, gender and ethnicity in the classroom?” Association of College and Research Libraries Annual Conference, Seattle, 2009.