Timeline for Applicants for 2013-14: Application Dates & Deadlines
This timeline is tailored for medical & dental school applications since these applications involve a committee letter provided by HPAC (Health Professions Advising Committee).
Inform Kathy Samms that you are applying for 2014.
- Contact the Registrar and the Dean of Students offices to check your integrity and conduct records. (by March)
- Request letters to support your application: Individual recommendation letters & HPA Committee Letter Request letters (provide letter writer with request form, waiver, resume & interest statement). Inform letter writers that deadline for letters is June 1.
- Submit request for Committee Letter (do this even if you aren’t fully decided about applying this year—we would rather have you withdraw the request than submit a late request).
- Submit list of letter writers to the HP office as soon as you can (no later than May 1).
- Fill out the Pre-Interview form (contains questions about your background, activities, interest and experience in chosen profession.
- Obtain unofficial transcripts from Puget Sound & other colleges Submit the Interview Request one week in advance of your mock interview date
- Take entrance exam (MCAT, DAT, etc.)
- Sign up well in advance to reserve a spot
- Sign up for prep course or obtain books for self-study (official practice tests from AAMC strongly encouraged)
- Personal statement
- Mock interviews
Spring Break Checklist
- Begin/continue school/program selection
- Decide on type(s) of programs (if medical—allopathic, osteopathic or both types of programs?)
- Consider your overall GPA and calculate a science GPA with all classes in Biology, Chemistry, Physics & Math
- Keep your GPA, science GPA, and entrance exam scores when selecting potential schools—include a range of programs
- Check websites for programs of interest for required/recommended courses in addition to GPA & test stats—how competitive are you?
- Go to AMCAS/AACOMAS/AADSAS website to begin filling in application (this can take a few weeks to complete)—the new application is posted the first week of May.
- Request a copy of official transcripts from all U.S. schools attended to be sent to the application service.
- June 1: Submit your application
- All recommendation letters should be at the HP office
- Decide upon list of schools to which you will be applying. Do your homework (see Spring Break checklist).
- Complete your application and submit online.
- Submit ID numbers to HP (both letter and AMCAS numbers)
- HP office composes and sends committee letter to application service (AMCAS/AACOMAS/AADSAS) along with individual recommendation letter.