Researching Graduate Schools: March-August, Junior Year
Out of the hundreds of available graduate schools, how does one select the few to apply to? The best resource you have available to answer this question is the Puget Sound faculty, all of whom have been to graduate school and many of whom have useful ties to graduate faculty in their disciplines from a number of institutions.
The number of schools you apply to will largely depend on the amount of time and money you're able or willing to invest in the application process, and the number of graduate schools offering what you want to study and practice. This number typically ranges from three to ten schools. Resources to help you narrow your search include Peterson's, Gradschools.com, and PhDs.org, online resources offering the exploration of graduate schools alphabetically, geographically, and by academic area.
Here is a sampler of some useful links:
- Educational Testing Service | Info on GRE/GMAT/LSAT, etc.
- The Princeton Review Online: Graduate School
- Kaplan Graduate School Test Prep
- American Universities Guide to Graduate Schools
These links to Law Schools, Health and Medical Programs, Education and MBA Programs may also be useful.
- Law School Admission Council
- American Bar Association
- Internet Legal Research Group
- Boston College Law School Locator
- Leiter's Law School Rankings
- Puget Sound Health Professions Advising
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Osteopathic Medical Schools
- Puget Sound School of Education
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- 50 States Teacher Certification Requirements (Univ. of Kentucky)
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction - Washington State
- MBA.com | Graduate Management Admission Council
- BusinessWeek Business School Rankings & Profiles
- Wall Street Journal Business Schools
In comparing the programs you are considering, you may find US News and World Report Graduate School Rankings useful as well, though we would caution that the criteria by which these sometimes controversial rankings are determined may not match your own set of selection criteria.