The Women's University League at the University of Puget Sound was formed in 1900 to support the university. Our fund raising efforts throughout the years have provided a variety of aid to the school.
The early history of the League includes providing financial assistance for a building fund overdraft in 1903 and establishing a Home Economics Department.
When Dr. and Mrs. Todd came to Puget Sound in 1913, Mrs. Todd quickly became active in the League. Soon thereafter, a new heating plant was needed for the girls' dormitory on the old campus, and the Women's League gave $450 toward it.
During these early days, the Women's League also supported female graduates, who at that time wore white dresses instead of caps and gowns. The League made these dresses, as some girls could not afford to buy one.
In 1931 the sum of $5,180 raised by the League was given to the trustees to be used as part of a fund to be matched by the Rockefeller Foundation. Around this time, there was a room in Jones Hall, called the YWCA Room, maintained by the League. Old treasury books show numerous disbursements from the League for refurbishing this room, which was used by women students for meetings.
When the first women's residence hall, Anderson Hall, was opened for occupancy on February 1, 1939, it was furnished entirely by the League.
Since that time, the League has pledged to numerous projects on campus. They furnished the lounge of the first men's dormitory, Todd Hall. They pledged $5,000 to furnish the lounge of the new Music Building. Next came $2,500 for a patio and landscaping in front of Anderson Hall. A pledge of $3,300 was made to each of the next two residence halls.
This was accomplished by loyal and devoted women working to sell tickets to concerts, lectures, fashion shows, rummage sales, two editions of a cookbook, and now, for the last 40 years, the annual flea market.
A common goal has bound the women into a loving, warm group to which they welcome any and all who care to be a part of this wonderful organization.