As a faculty or staff member, your email signature is an extension of Puget Sound's letterhead and stationery system. Using consistent signatures in @pugetsound.edu email accounts is an opportunity for campus members to align electronic communications with the university's visual identity and helps create a cohesive experience for all who interact with the Puget Sound online. Additionally clear and consistent email signatures present a professional appearance for conducting business through email.
The following are recommended guidelines for faculty and staff members using an @pugetsound.edu email account:
- Font: Use Arial, except for "University of Puget Sound," which should be Times and all caps.
- Avoid images, logos, and vCards: Most email clients process these as attachments, and many block messages as a result by default. This includes the Puget Sound logo and logos for social media platforms.
- Social media: Feel free to promote Puget Sound's main social media accounts or those of your office, department, or group. Links are preferred over social media icons or platform logos.
- Less is more: Email signatures should be fewer than 12 lines. Use pipes (|) to separate multiple elements on the same line, such as social media links.
- URL conventions: There is no need to include "www." in a URL unless the URL won't work without it. For example use pugetsound.edu instead of www.pugetsound.edu.
- Do not include the following in @pugetsound.edu email signatures:
- Personal information, such as personal websites, personal blog addresses, quotes, department tag lines, etc. (Links to personal sites and blogs related to your work at Puget Sound are OK.)
- Links to or logos of websites, groups, or organizations not related to Puget Sound.
- Background images or decorative elements, such as clipart, graphics, emoticons, etc.
- The email address from which the email message was sent.
If you have any questions or concerns about email signatures, or if you would like to discuss incorporating a special logo into your signaure, please contact Sarah Stall at firstname.lastname@example.org or x2673.
Standard Email Signature Format
Name | Title
UNIVERSITY OF PUGET SOUND
Office or Department Name
1500 N. Warner St. #xxxx
Tacoma, WA 98416-xxxx
Fax or cell number
Sample Email Signature
Sarah Stall | Assistant Director of Communications and Online Media
UNIVERSITY OF PUGET SOUND
Office of Communications
1500 N. Warner St. #1041
Tacoma, WA 98416-1041
Follow Puget Sound: Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn | Twitter