Freshman class again sets records for quality
Another year, another stellar group of first-years students.
In a continuing trend, the academic quality of the Puget Sound Class of 2003, as measured by grade point average and average standardized test scores, is a record-setter for scores and the second highest for grade point average. Other stats on the class:
- 684 freshmen (61 percent women; 39 percent men) from 36 states and 7 foreign countries
- 72 percent from out of the state of Washington
- Average Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT): 621 verbal; 620 math; 1241 combined, a record high
- 43 students with a perfect 4.0 high school GPA
- 25 National Merit Semi-Finalists
- 35 National Merit Commended Scholars
- Minority students: 56 Asian/Pacific Islander (8.2 percent), 14 Black (2 percent), 14 Hispanic (2 percent), 10 Native American (1.5 percent), 14 Native Hawaiian (2 percent), 2 Foreign (.3 percent).