Recycling in Greek Houses

Union Avenue houses

Commingled Bins




-Plastics #1-7

-Thin cardboard    

(cereal boxes)

-Small corrugated cardboard 

-Liquid Cartons

(milk and juice cartons, etc)



Not Acceptable


-Food waste


-Pizza boxes

-Styrofoam/packing peanuts

-Coffee cups

-Tissues, paper towels, napkins

-Wax-coated paper or cardboard

Glass Bin

  • Acceptable  


    -Glass Bottles with lids removed

    -Batteries in sealed plastic bags

    -Small Electronic Items  

Not Acceptable


Broken glass

Glass cups


Window panes


Light bulbs



Servicing the Bins

Sustainability Services provides commingled and glass recycling receptacles to each residence building on Greek Row. Located in residence halls are "Waste Zones" where students can dispose of trash, glass, and commingled recycling. These Waste Zones are located on each floor close to or on stairwells. Students are responsible for taking the garbage and desk-side recycling bins from their rooms to these Waste Zones to empty them. Sustainability Services will monitor the commingled and glass bins located in the Waste Zones, emptying them as needed.

Extra things to note:

  • Corrugated cardboard (i.e. packing/moving boxes) should be broken down and placed in the lobby areas; there are signs denoting the proper locations at every house. 
  • Sustainability Services collects electronic items to be recycled. Small electronics, such as iPods and cell phones, can be placed in glass bins to be collected by our team. Larger items such as laptops, printers, and microwaves can be collected as well, although they should not go in the glass bins. Please send Sustainability Services an email at so that we can coordinate with you to collect the item(s).
  • Have any doubts about which items can go where to be properly recycled? Take a look at our A-Z Disposal Guide or our Frequently Asked Questions section. If your question is not answered by the information on these pages, please call our campus extension, x1560, or send us an email at so that we can help.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please email Sustainability Services at, or call our campus extension x1560.