Recycling in Academic & Administrative Buildings

Collins Memorial Library

Commingled Bins




-Plastics #1-7

-Thin cardboard    

(cereal boxes)

-Small corrugated cardboard 

-Liquid Cartons

(milk and juice cartons, etc)





Not Acceptable


-Food waste


-Pizza boxes

-Styrofoam/packing peanuts

-Coffee cups

-Tissues, paper towels, napkins

-Wax-coated paper or cardboard

Glass Bins



-Glass Bottles with lids removed

-Batteries in sealed plastic bags

-Small Electronic Items  


Not Acceptable


Broken glass

Glass cups


Window panes


Light bulbs



Servicing the Bins

Sustainability Services provides commingled and glass recycling receptacles to each academic and administrative building on campus. Our team members monitor the glass bins and large commingled bins on wheels (toters); we empty the glass bins and replace the toters with empty ones when they get full. Smaller commingled bins such as desk-side and half-round bins are not monitored by the Sustainability Services team and are the responsibility of the staff in the building to empty into the large toters. Toters are located on each floor with elevator access in every academic or administrative building.

Extra things to note:

  • Corrugated cardboard (i.e. packing/moving boxes) should be broken down and placed behind the large blue recycling bins on wheels (toters) or in the designated cardboard bins in the basement of the S.U.B., the basement of Jones, or the first floor of Thompson. We collect corrugated cardboard separately because it is a source of revenue for our program.
  • Sustainability Services collects electronic items to be recycled. Small electronics such as iPods and cell phones can be placed in glass bins to be collected by our team. Larger items such as laptops, printers, and microwaves can be collected as well, although they should not go in the glass bins. Please send Sustainability Services an email at so that we can coordinate with you to collect the item(s).
  • Have any doubts about which items can go where to be properly recycled? Take a look at our A-Z Disposal Guide or our Frequently Asked Questions section. If your question is not answered by the information on these pages, please call our campus extension, x1560, or send us an email at so that we can help.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please email Sustainability Services at, or call our campus extension x1560.