Get your Food Handler's Permit online! Take the class online, pass the test, pay and print your card.
You may also visit the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department offices, located at 3629 South D Street (very near to the intersection of S. 38th and Pacific Avenue), to take the Food Worker Card classes or use the testing kiosks. Here is a link to the Tacoma-Pierce Health Department County Food Worker Card
You must bring $10 cash for your card. You must also have picture ID with you when you get your card. Once you receive it, present your card to the DCS office (Wheelock Student Center room 240) and you will be reimbursed $10 for your card.
For further information, visit the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department website at www.tpchd.org/page.php?id=79
Driving directions to the Tacoma - Pierce County Health Department from Wheelock Student Center:
1. Turn right onto Alder Street. Continue on Alder as it becomes Cedar Street (at S. 12th Street).
2. Turn left onto S. 15th Street; there will be a flashing yellow light at the intersection.
3. Go several miles; continue on until you reach Pacific Avenue; turn right. (You are now downtown.)
4. Go through downtown and up a large hill, passing the I-5 on ramps. Continue on until you see S. 35th.
5. Just a short distance past S. 35th on your right will be the Health Department; it is between S. 36th and S. 37th on South D Street. Parking is sometimes difficult, so be sure to arrive early enough to find parking and find the right place in the building!
Note: You must have your food handler's permit on file in the Dining and Conference Services business office before you begin work!