Pierce County Food Handler's Permit

Get your Food Handler's Permit online! Take the class online, pass the test, pay and print your card.

You may also visit the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department offices, located at 3629 South D Street (very near to the intersection of S. 38th and Pacific Avenue), to take the Food Worker Card classes or use the testing kiosks.

Classes last approximately an hour and a half. Class times are:

Every Monday and Friday at 9 a.m. or 2 p.m.
Every Thursday at 6 p.m.

Note: Class size is limited and entrance is on a first come-first served basis. Classes fill up quickly. It is recommended showing up at least 30 minutes prior to the start of class.

The kiosk test lasts approximately 45 minutes. Kiosks are available, by appointment only:

Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.

Schedule your appointment by calling the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department at 253.798.6460.

You must bring $10 cash for your card. You must also have picture ID with you when you get your card. Once you receive it, present your card to Heather Clifford (Wheelock Student Center room 240) and you will be issued cash reimbursement within 30 days.

For further information, visit the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department website at www.tpchd.org/page.php?id=79

Driving directions from Wheelock Student Center:

1. Turn right onto Alder Street. Continue on Alder as it becomes Cedar Street (at S. 12th Street).
2. Turn left onto S. 15th Street; there will be a flashing yellow light at the intersection.
3. Go several miles; continue on until you reach Pacific Avenue; turn right. (You are now downtown.)
4. Go through downtown and up a large hill, passing the I-5 on ramps. Continue on until you see S. 35th.
5. Just a short distance past S. 35th on your right will be the Health Department; it is between S. 36th and S.37th on South D Street. Parking is sometimes difficult, so be sure to arrive early enough to find parking and find the right place in the building!

Note: You must have your food handler's permit on file in the Dining and Conference Services business office before you may begin work!