Overwhelmed by the prospect of finding a career? Wish there was a way to filter through the options? Assessments can help you jump-start the process by giving you insight into your personality, interests, skills, and values.
Interested in taking the first step on your own?
Take a SELF-DIRECTED Assessment (Career Cruising)
Seeking expert guidance? Want in-depth results?
Take a professionally-interpreted assessment (SII, MBTI, Strengths)
Want to take a simple self-assessment to get ideas about career paths? Career Cruising offers questionnaires that evaluate interests and skills, plus information about a wide range of occupations.
CES recommends Career Cruising as an easy entry-point for exploring career fields and occupations. For more in-depth analysis, consider taking a professionally-interpreted assessment.
1. Log in to CES Career Resources using your Puget Sound credentials.
2. Select Career Cruising from the Research & Explore menu.
3. Click Explore My Interests to access the Explore Assessments.
Note: You may need to complete a brief registration before completing assessments.
Like self-directed assessments, you'll complete an online questionnaire. Then, you'll meet with a CES Career Advisor who will interpret your results and can help you develop an action plan.
Professionally-interpreted assessments are $10 each ($20 each for alumni). This fee helps cover the cost of your individualized report. (If this expense presents a hardship, please contact CES for alternative options.)
Tip: Each assessment takes about 1/2 an hour to complete, so be sure to allow enough time. It's best to take assessments when you are comfortable and alert. (Taking it an hour before a big test, after an all-nighter, or when you're in a bad mood may skew your results.)
Want to know about jobs that are a match for your interests? The SII measures interests in broad areas, breaks them down into more specific topics, and compares your interests to professionals in a variety of occupations.
CES recommends the SII for students seeking information on potential career options.
Wondering which careers or work settings fit your personality? Identify preferences in how you process information, make decisions, and interact with the world.
CES recommends the MBTI to help students identify best-fit work environments, strategies for interacting with co-workers, and components that can lead to satisfying careers.
Want to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses? Discover your top 5 talent themes along with action items for development. Explore how to use your strengths to achieve academic, career, and personal goals.
CES recommends Strengths for students who want to better understand their talents in relation to college experiences, leadership roles, and personal or career development.
1. Complete the questionnaire(s) at: online.cpp.com
Account Login: pugetsoundcareer
UserID: (Provided by the system when you leave the site, so that you may log back in if needed.)
2. Follow the directions on the screen. Do not take the “Skills Confidence Inventory.”
3. Visit CES in Howarth 101 to pay your fees and to schedule an appointment with a Career Advisor to discuss your results.
1. Visit CES in Howarth 101 to pay your fees and get your access code.
2. Complete the questionnaire at: strengthsquest.com
3. Click "Register" and enter your Access Code.
4. Contact CES (253.879.3161) to schedule an appointment with a Career Advisor to discuss your results.