Student Recognition Ideas
All staff members want to know that their contributions are important to the success of the department. Here are some suggestions to acknowledge your student staff members during Student Employment Month in April, and throughout the year. Tailor these ideas to fit with the culture of your department.
Start an award recognition program
Look around the office or at home for a white elephant item. Name the item for the award (Employee of the Month/Week, Great Idea Award, Gotcha Award--catch someone in the act of doing something right) and then make the first presentation of the award during Student Employment Month in April.
Put your appreciation in writing
- Student Employment Month Shout Out: Send a shout out to your student staff members via CES social media during Student Employment Month (April). Send your 140 character-or-less shout out (plus a photo of your students hard at work, if you have one) to firstname.lastname@example.org in April with the subject line “shout out.” We'll post it on CEStweets and the CES Facebook page.
- Prepare "Certificates of Excellence" citing students for excellence and present the award with fanfare.
- Place an ad in the campus newspaper (The Trail), on your website, or in your departmental newsletter thanking your student staff members.
- Purchase or make blank certificates and make up unique awards such as "best telephone voice," "best Web surfer", "most customer service oriented," etc.
- Ask the department head to write letters thanking student staff members for their contributions to departmental success.
- Write a letter to the family of your student staff member and let them know what the student does, how their work impacts your department, and share kudos.
- Chalk the sidewalk in front of your office or post a sign on the door saying "thanks" to your student staff members.
- Send a virtual card.
- Create a bulletin board collage with photos and lists of the ways student staff members contribute to your department.
- Select a theme and decorate an office wall, door, or desk in recognition of your student staff members.
Cook, bake or otherwise provide food
- Take student staff members out to lunch, or host a departmental open house for all student staff members.
- Bring in treats or lunch.
Give a low-cost/high-creativity award or gift
- Friendship Plant: Take cuttings from a plant in the office and give to each student as a live "connection" to the office.
- Good Egg Award: Fill plastic Easter Eggs with goodies and give out with "Good Egg" certificates listing what the student did to deserve this award.
- Pat on the Back: Draw an outline of your hand on a piece of paper. Photocopy enough copies for all students in your office. On each hand write a note that tells the student why they deserve a "Pat on the Back."
- Create a coupon booklet with coupons for a free can of soda, movie, video rental from the bookstore, home baked goodies, ready-made take-home dinner... Be creative!
More no-to-low cost student staff recognition ideas
- Thank you for all you do to orient, train, motivate, and acknowledge student staff members!