CES has developed the following resources to support you and help you excel in your various roles and responsibilities as a Campus Supervisor:
Excel as a Coach, Mentor, and Professional Role Model
Clearly defined expectations, timely feedback, and opportunities for professional development are essential to the mutual success of student staff members and supervisors. CES supports this win-win relationship with the comprehensive OAR (Orient—Approach—Recognize) Strategy. OAR enhances the student employment experience, improves job performance and motivation, and prepares students for future career success:
Conduct interviews with orientation outcomes in mind: Interviewing Strategies & Initial Conversations
Prepare to orient and train new student staff members: Orientation Checklist
Address progress, growth, and opportunities: Conversation Starters
Get to know CES and refer students when career-related topics come up: Career Development Resources
Acknowledge student staff members' contributions: Recognition ideas
Celebrate success throughout the year and during Student Employment Month
Prepare to describe student staff member's contributions to others: Tips for serving as a Reference
Excel as an Administrator
Attention to the details and deadlines associated with campus recruiting and payroll is an important aspect of overseeing student staff members. The following tools can help you meet the administrative expectations of your supervisory role.
Calendars and Tools
- Student Employment Activities
Familiarize yourself with timelines for student employment activities.
Mark your calendar! Students are paid twice per month. Note the dates highlighted in purple—these are the deadlines to verify and approve your student staff members' timecards.
- Student Job and Earnings
View vital information about student staff members. Once a student completes the PeopleSoft HR hiring process, information about their on-campus position becomes available on the Student Job and Earnings page. The current version of the page is viewable by Hiring Managers (Primary Supervisors) only.
- To access Student Job & Earnings, log into myPugetSound. Select HR - Manager Self Service > Student Job & Earnings.
- Use this tool to monitor earnings and ensure students do not exceed their maximum Earnings Limit. When the Earnings Limit is reached, authorization to continue working in the position ends, even if the job duration has not expired.
- Until all Supervisors can view this page, it is the role of the Hiring Manager to share the information and coordinate with others in the department who may need the information for students they supervise.
- Non-disclosure and Confidentiality Agreement
Supervisors of student positions that involve access to confidential information need to have those student staff members read and sign a "Non-disclosure and Confidentiality Agreement" to ensure that they have a clear understanding of their roles and responsibilities. The forms signed by student staff members should be retained in your departmental files.
- Campus Job Description Form
Questionnaire to gather accurate, current job descriptions.