Examples of Teaching with Technology
We've made several brief documentary videos featuring Puget Sound faculty and the technology they use for teaching, learning and research. If you are interested or know someone who might be interested in being featured in a future video, please let us know.
Dolen Perkins-Valdez on using Skype to talk to authors during class
Dolen Perkins-Valdez is an Assistant Professor in the English Department who teaches creative writing and has used Skype to have authors speak to her students about their work. In her interview, Dolen talks about how easy Skype makes it for students to experience hearing a guest speaker, without going through all the trouble of actually bringing someone to campus.
Watch the Video
Lynnette Claire on Student Entrepreneurship Videos
Each semester, Lynette Claire, Assistant Professor in the School of Business and Leadership, has her students interview local Tacoma area business owners and make documentary videos about them. These are shown each term in The Entrepreneurial Film Festival.
In our interview with her, she talks about the value of engaging students with the technology of filming, and how the process of editing film empowers them and brings them deeper understanding and insight into the subjects of their documentary and the idea of entrepreneurship itself.
Watch the Video
Other UPS Faculty Videos
- Patrick O’Neil - Using a Blog to Build Community with Students and Alumni
- Lotus Perry - Teaching Foreign Language with the Audio Tool YackPack
- Geoff Prohl - Collaborative Theatrical Play Production Using a Wiki
- Janet Utterback-Peck - Using Video and YouTube to Help Teach Music Students
- Sandy Evans - Blogging for Foreign Language Students
- Lynnette Claire - Teaching Entrepreneurship Through Documentary Film making
- Dolen Perkins-Valdez - Using Skype to Talk to Authors in Class