There are several ways to add photos to your page:
CMS users can upload one or more images to this feature (available on the Content and Content - Slim templates) directly from their computer. Uploading a single image will display that image on the right side of the page. Uploading multiple images will display the first image with a photo gallery option to view the rest within the page. If you upload images that are larger than the photo area, you will be prompted to crop these images when you Save and Publish the page. Medium to large horizontal images work best. If you upload an image an it looks fuzzy, the image is too small. You should remove or replace it. It is preferred to have a caption entered for each image for accessibility purposes.
Note: The smallest size for the photos in this feature in the Content template is 351x234 pixels. The smallest size for the photos in this feature in the Content - Slim template is 524x349 pixels.
- Find the page you want to add photos to in CMS and edit it.
- Scroll down to the Photo Gallery section and click on the Show link at the right.
- Click the Browse button next to the Add an Image field. (Note: See minimum size requirements above.)
- Navigate to and select your desired image and then click Open.
- Add a brief Caption.
- Click Add Photo. A thumbnail that say Pending Upload will appear in the Photo Gallery section.
- Repeat steps 3-6 for more photos.
- Click Save and Publish at the bottom of the page.
- You will be prompted to crop any photos that are too large for the space.
Note: You can drag the four individual corner "handles" to determine what size you want your cropped photo to appear and move the highlighted space around on the photo to zoom in on different sections. The cropping tool will not let you crop your photo smaller than the target area.
Note: Once you've saved and published the page (and cropped your photos), you can go back in and edit the Photo Gallery photos you took, dragging and dropping the photos to reorder them, clicking the edit icon to change the captions, or deleting photos from the gallery.
There are some places in the CMS where you can upload your own photos without sizing and optimizing them first, and there are some places you can't. The main Page Content section is one of the areas where photos must be sized and optimized using a graphics program such as Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Photoshop Elements before being uploaded and used.
Why might you need to add a photo to the content area instead of using the Photo Gallery option? One reason could be that you don't have a large enough photo to use the Photo Gallery feature. Another could be adding photos to a staff contact page.
- Size and optimize your photo for the Web using a graphics program (or contact the Web Manager for assistance).
- Find the page you want to add the photo in CMS to and edit it.
- Click on the Upload New Resource button in the Resource box on the right side of the Content tab.
The feature box appears at the top of the content area if information has been entered into the Feature 1, Feature 2, or Feature 3 boxes available on the two basic templates (as well as several others). You must enter photos for this feature to work right, especially with more than one feature. Medium to large horizontal images work best for this space. If your image is too large, the CMS will prompt you to crop the image when you Save and Publish the page. If you publish the page and the image doesn't fill the space or seems fuzzy or grainy, you need a larger image. If you need assistance sizing an image for this space, contact the Web Manager.
See the How do I add a feature box? section.