These students enlisted some serious equipment for their service project, using a university milk truck to collect milk for a 1947 Milk Drive.
Dr. Franklin Thompson served as president of the university from 1942-1973. He helped build much of the campus we see today. Over 25 buildings were constructed during his tenure.
This picture captures a skit from the 1947 Sadie Hawkins Day.
The debate team preparing for competition in the 1940s.
The fieldhouse, shown here in 1956, was completed in 1949. It has since been home to events as varied as concerts, flea markets, lu'aus, and athletic events.
Student union building (now Kittredge Hall) completed. Students raise money for Kittredge with a "bricks-krieg," selling bricks for 50 cents.
Todd retires. Board elects R. Franklin Thompson president.
Enrollment drops below 500 (headcount) during war years.
Trustee Norton Clapp offers dollar-for-dollar challenge for funds raised in December; board raises $31,000. Annual budget was $202,340.
Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) Unit 3966, composed of 238 enlisted men from Camp Roberts, California, arrives on campus (December).
Thompson reports 899 Puget Sound students in the services, but academic standards were not lowered.
E. L. Blaine resigns as board chair after 37 years. Norton Clapp elected.
South Hall and Todd Hall completed.
Enrollment swells to more than 1,900, raising student-to-faculty ratio to 28-to-1. Enrollment declines during Korean War.
After board authorization, Sigma Zeta Epsilon becomes Kappa Sigma, first of many fraternities and sororities to affiliate with national groups.
University hires first full-time "publicity man."