1940s

1941
Student union building (now Kittredge Hall) completed. Students raise money for Kittredge with a "bricks-krieg," selling bricks for 50 cents.

1942
Todd retires. Board elects R. Franklin Thompson president.

Enrollment drops below 500 (headcount) during war years.

Trustee Norton Clapp offers dollar-for-dollar challenge for funds raised in December; board raises $31,000. Annual budget was $202,340.

1943
Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) Unit 3966, composed of 238 enlisted men from Camp Roberts, California, arrives on campus (December).

1944
Thompson reports 899 Puget Sound students in the services, but academic standards were not lowered.

1945
E. L. Blaine resigns as board chair after 37 years. Norton Clapp elected.

1947
South Hall and Todd Hall completed.

Enrollment swells to more than 1,900, raising student-to-faculty ratio to 28-to-1. Enrollment declines during Korean War.

1948
After board authorization, Sigma Zeta Epsilon becomes Kappa Sigma, first of many fraternities and sororities to affiliate with national groups.

University hires first full-time "publicity man."

1949
Fieldhouse completed.