1930s

1932
University purchases two houses adjacent to campus.

Adelphian Concert Choir established.

1934
Conference begins distributing a percentage of its benevolences to university each year.

1935
Bylaws amended to allow Alumni Association to elect two members to board, not subject to conference approval.

Retirement and pension fund established for faculty and staff.

1937
Required courses grouped into five objectives:

  • Correct and effective use of the English language;
  • An acquaintance with the methods, concepts and principles of the natural sciences;
  • A working knowledge of one foreign language;
  • An introduction to human society and some of its cultural products;
  • Physical education.

1938
Anderson Hall completed.

Golden Jubilee celebration held despite disappointing fund drive.